729th Railway Operating Battalion - Kroll

Richard writes about his uncle Fred  ... I started my search for my uncle's history before I received this Veteran's archive document from St Louis. 

I knew he was at Normandy and he crossed the Rhine at Wesel to the north of the famous railroad bridge at Remagen (Ludendorff Bridge). I visited that site as an LT in 1972. I pieced together the 729th because the NY, New Haven & Long Island RR was where he worked prior to entering service in the CT NG 1932 then called up in 1942. 

He shipped out to England arriving 18 Jul 1943. Landed at Normandy 3 days afterwards (though I found a piece of camo parachute silk in this cigar box which had in ink that he landed. I don't think it was his). Day 3 would be the LST landing ships bringing in the prefabricated rail cars along a long pre-fabricated ramp the engineers pieced together from the beach. 

My uncle had "engineer castle insignia's which confuses me as they were also part of the 729 but he didn't go to engineer school, He went to Atlantic Coast Transportation and Chemical Warfare school. 

Fred worked on Railway Signals Maintenance for 729th ROB

0 comments: