The Railways and telegraph act of 1862 created the US Military Railroad System (USMRR).
BG Herman Haupt, A USMA 1835 Graduate who spent 25 years with commercial railroads, was responsible for USMRR.
USMRR maintained 16 railways in the eastern theater and 19 short lines with a total of 2,100 miles of track, 419 locomotives and 6,330 rail cars.
Haupts rules of centralized control were responsible for the successful use of military railroads.
During WWI, William Wallace Atterbury, was sent to France by President Woodrow Wilson to bring order out of chaos in that part of the French Railway System which had been turned over to the American Army. His assignment was the President’s response to General Pershing’s cable for “the best railroad man in the United States”. The Commission of Brigadier General and the Distinguished Service Order where his reward. He was Vice-President for operations of the Pennsylvania Railroad at the time.
Over 43,500 soldier-railroaders served during World War II in over 50 commercial railroad sponsored Military Railway Services (MRS) units stationed in theaters around the world. MRS units served with distinction in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France, Belgium, Germany, India, Iran and the Philippines. The RS1 Diesel Locomotive, recently added to the collection, was used to move supplies through Iran for the support of Russia on the eastern front.
The Berlin Duty Train passenger and Guard Car, used during the Cold War, are also a part of our collection, which will be protected by this building we are ready to construct.
This Pavilion will become the home for our expanded story of the Army Transportation Corps Military Railway System Units.
To MRS Veterans and Friends:
During the next several months, two significant events will be taking place to preserve and honor the heritage and memory of those who served and supported the many accomplishments of the Military Railway Service. Both events are open to the public and you are cordially invited to attend and participate.
On 20 June 2011 at 10:00 a ground breaking ceremony will be held at the Ft. Eustis Army Transportation Museum marking the beginning of construction of the Transportation Corps Rail Pavilion.
Efforts have been underway for over 25 years to provide the proper facilities in recognition to our Transportation Corps Rail units and the Railroad Industry that sponsored, helped train, and supplied them since before World War II (WWII).
Please advise the Foundation by June 13 at email@example.com or (757) 878-1180 of your availability to join us in this long awaited historical event.
On October 29 and 30, 2011 the Southern Forest Heritage Museum of Long Leaf, LA, will be holding its first annual Camp Claiborne / Claiborne - Polk Military Railway (C&P) symposium.
The C&P was a 47 mile railroad constructed in 1942 and 1942 between Camp Claiborne, LA, and Camp Polk, LA, by the 711th Railway Operating Battalion with help from the 91st and 93rd Engineer Battalions. It became the primary Army owned and operated facility for "technical" training of Military Railway Service (MRS) units in WWII. Both Camp Claiborne and the C&P were declared excess and dismantled shortly after WWII.
The symposium will feature both formal presentations as well as on the ground explorations of the facilities and rail right of way that once existed. Additional information and details will be posted shortly at http://www.forestheritagemuseum.org/ or from Lt. Melinda West at Melinda.West@lsus.edu.
Mark Metz, LTC-TC (USAR-Ret.)
U. S. Army Transportation Corps Museum Foundation
10:41 AM | | 0 Comments